Thursday, May 28, 2009

Potatoes that Taste better Than the Chicken!


This is a great Sunday Dinner Meal! If your hubby is a meat and potatoes kind of guy this is a pleaser for sure!

Potatoes that Taste Better than the Chicken

*12 Tbsp. Butter

*12 tbsp. oil

*4 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces. (Yukon gold are recommended but I can never find them)

*1 whole 5-6lb chicken, wings removed (I never remove them because some people like the dark meat and I feel it keeps it moister)

8 tsp rosemary

8 tsp thyme

10 tsp minced garlic

1. pre heat oven to 450

2. Butter a medium roasting pan with 6 tbsp. butter and 6 tbsp oil. Place potatoes in a single layer in roasting pan. (mine always takes more room) Season Chicken inside and out with salt and pepper. Place Rosemary, Thyme, and garlic inside cavity of chicken. Using kitchen twine ( or kite string in my case!) tie legs together to enclose. Rub chicken with remaining oil and butter. Place chicken on top of potatoes.

3. Transfer roasting pan to oven and roast for 40 minutes. Turn Chicken onto its other side and continue roasting another 40 minutes. Add 4 Tbsp water to pan, continue roasting until juices run clear and the internal temp reaches 165 degrees, 20 -40 min more. ( I NEVER have rotated my bird. I would rather have just the bottom be a little soggy than chance 2 sides being that way. I just cook for the 80 min. and then add water and cook more. I would plan on a little extra time just in case. The first time the oven I used took longer.)





1 comment:

Ami Bethea said...

Can't wait to make this, what a great Sunday meal!